Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Poem from Dana

The Saddest Poem

I can write the saddest poem of all tonight.

Write, for instance: "The night is full of stars,
and the stars, blue, shiver in the distance."

The night wind whirls in the sky and sings.

I can write the saddest poem of all tonight.


On a night like this, I held her in my arms
As time takes us to another dimension
I kissed her lips as though it would be my last
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me

I cannot define or describe true love
But I know it because I felt it
Searching for the truth, I erased the blur
She loved me, and sometimes I loved her

On a night like this, she smiled and laughed
As I performed my idiotic dance craft
Two separate souls became one
On a night like this…

I had fallen in love time and time again
Always with the same person
The same night each other were discovered
We who were, we are now no longer

I no longer love her, but how much I loved her
My voice searched the wind to touch her ear
On a night like this, she’s held in the arms
In the arms of someone else’s

She’d now made true someone’s wishes
As she once belonged to my own kisses
I no longer love her, but perhaps I still love her
because on a night like this, next to me she lied

On a night like this, I still miss her voice
I still miss her touch, on a night like this
Although this may be the last pain she causes me
And this may be the last poem I write for her

Pablo Neruda

No comments: