Saturday, August 19, 2017

Brief Encounter


A man with large hands

waits in line behind me.
The glass of the vending machine
reflects my restless eyes.

They tell me
my face would be missed
but no one ever tells me by whom
so I tell myself I am missed, saying my name aloud
remembering what I was called.

Then, I wondered
if the last time he kissed me
did I taste good
or just good enough for now?
I wanted to tell him
I was all out of that flavor.

My mother once told me
that girls like me are

like airport waiting areas,
only for the time in between
for nodding off to the fluorescent flashing
before a red-eye flight,

like the sticky stains
of the latch-key kid who was left home alone till dawn
calling for her father whose broad back was more familiar.

My mother said
that girls like me are
like the dingy armchairs of
passing through for a stranger who is waiting for
a connecting flight on his way home to his wife.

He is up now.
He glances over at me leaning on the wall
as he fumbles for change.
He presses B4 for chips, gets cookies instead
Smiles saying, “You’ll do for now.”

No comments: